|1993||Ph.D. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|1989||M.A. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|1986||B.A. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|2017 - Present||Clinical Associate Professor, Director|| The Office of Evaluation and School Improvement, |
The University of Alabama College of Education
|2010 - 2017||Assistant Dean of Scholarly Affairs|| The University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing & Assistant Dean for Research, |
The University of Alabama School Of Social Work
|2007 - 2010||Director of Scholarly Affairs||The University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing|
|1999 - 2011||President||KMH Consulting, Inc.|
|2000 - 2004||Contract Instructor||University of California, Los Angeles|
|2003||Contract Instructor||University of Southern California|
|1997 - 1999||Director, Evaluation Research||Sociometrics Corporation|
|1993 - 1997||Research Associate||Vanderbilt Institute for Public Policy Studies, Vanderbilt University|
|1993 - 1996||Post-Doctoral Fellow, National Institute of Mental Health Post-Doctoral Training Program in Children’s Mental Health Services||Center for Mental Health Policy, Vanderbilt University|
Inter-group Attitudes and Conflict; Children’s Mental Health Services; HIV/AIDS Prevention; Military to Civilian Transitions; Social Identity Theory.
|2011||Instructor, Research Methods for Social Work Practice, University of Alabama (SW 576- 001)|
|2003||Instructor, Health Promotion Program Design and Evaluation, University of Southern California|
|2000 - 2004||Instructor, Interpersonal Conflict, Department of Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles|
|2000 - 2004||Instructor, Sociological Research Methods & Interpersonal Conflict, Department of Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles|
|2016 – Present||CO-CHAIR, West Alabama Veteran Action Board|
|2016 – 2018||CO-CHAIR, Education Committee of the Alabama Veterans Network (AlaVetNet)|
|2013 – 2016|| MEMBER, Alabama Veterans Network (AlaVetNet)|
|2009 – 2017||VICE-PRESIDENT, Holt Community Partnership (HCP)|
|2012 – 2017||VICE-CHAIR, Health Action Partnership of Walker County (HAP-WC)|
|2010 – 2013||CO-FOUNDER AND MEMBER, Walker Area Transformational Coalition for Health (WATCH)|
|2007 – 2010||MEMBER AND SECRETARY, Capstone Rural Health Center (CRHC) Board of Directors|
|2016 – Present||MEMBER, CIMVHR College of Peer Reviewers|
|2016 – 2017||MEMBER, the School of Social Work Administrative Team|
|2010 – 2017||MEMBER, the School of Social Work Executive Team|
|2008 – Present||CO-CHAIR, UA-VA Research Liaison Group|
|2015 – 2017||MEMBER, the Council for Community-Based Partnerships Faculty Teaching and Research Support Committee|
|2007 – Present||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Council for Community-Based Partnerships|
|2007 – 2017||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Assistant/Associate Deans of Research Committee|
|2007 – 2015||MEMBER, Capstone College of Nursing Administrative Support Team|
|2007 – 2015||MEMBER, Capstone College of Nursing Organizational Performance and Strategic Planning Committee|
|2013 – 2015||CO-CHAIR, Deans and Directors for Research Special Interest Group, the Society for Social Work Research|
|2014 – 2015||MEMBER, SACS Public/Community Service Compliance Certification Committee|
|2014 – 2015||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement Renewal Team|
|2011 – 2012||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement Team|
|2010 – 2014||CHAIR, Capstone College of Nursing Organizational Performance and Strategic Planning Committee|
|2010 – 2014||MEMBER, Deans and Directors for Research Special Interest Group, the Society for Social Work Research|
|2008 – 2012||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Technology Research Advisory Committee|
- American Evaluation Association
|2015||Certificate of Appreciation, Department of Veterans Affairs|
|2015|| Award of Recognition for contribution to the renewal of the University of Alabama’s Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement|
|2013||Distinguished Achievement in Engagement Scholarship- Faculty/Staff; University of Alabama Center for Community-Based Partnerships|
|2010||Excellence in Community Health Center Board Leadership; Alabama Primary Care Association|
|2010||Outstanding Community Partner-Initiated Engagement Effort (jointly awarded to Paul Kennedy, President, the Walker Area Community Foundation); University of Alabama Center for Community-Based Partnerships|
|1992||City of West Hollywood Dissertation Award|
- Albright, D. L., McCormick, W. H., Carroll, T. D., Currier, J. M., Thomas, K. H., Hamner, K., Slagel, B. A., Womack, B., Simms, B. M., & Deiss, J. (2017)
Barriers and resources for veterans’ post-military transitioning in South Alabama: A qualitative analysis. Traumatology.
- Hendricks Thomas, K., Albright, D., Shields, M., Kaufman, E., Michaud, C., Plummer Taylor, S., Hamner, K. (2016). Predictors of depression diagnoses
and symptoms in United States female veterans: Results from a national survey and implications for programming. Journal of Military and Veterans’ Health
- Thomas, K.H., Taylor, S.P., Hamner, K., Glazer, J. Kaufman, E. (2015). Multi-site Programming Offered to Promote Resilience in Military Veterans: A
Process Evaluation of the Just Roll With It Bootcamps. Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 13 (2), 15-24.
- Davis, L. L., Kertesz, S. G., Mahaney-Price, A. F., Martin, M. Y., Tabb, K. D., Pettey, K. M., McNeal, S. F., Granstaff, U. S., Hamner, K. M., Powell, M. P.,
Hilgeman, M. M., Snow, A. L., Stanton, M., Litaker, M., Mary T. Hawn, M. T., (2011). Alabama Veterans Rural Health Initiative: A Preliminary Evaluation of
Unmet Health Care Needs. Journal of Rural Social Sciences. 26 (3), 14–31
- Hamner, K. M., Kennedy, P. W. & Wolfe, T. A. (2008). Forming a rural health partnership. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 1(1), 85-86.
- Robin, L., & Hamner, K. M. (2000). Bisexuality: Identities and community. In V. A. Wall & N. J. Evans (Eds.) Toward acceptance: Sexual orientation issues on campus (pp. 245-259). Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc.
- Bickman, L., & Hamner, K. M. (1998). Evaluating a Holocaust Museum. Evaluation Review, 22 (4), 435-446
- Bickman, L., Salzer, S., Lambert, E. W., Saunders, R., Summerfelt, W. T., Heflinger, C. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1998). Rejoinder to Mordock’s critique of the Fort Bragg Evaluation Project: The sample is generalizable and the outcomes are clear. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 29 (1), pp. 77-91.
- Hamner, K. M., & Bryant, D. (1997). Does client severity predict case management activity? Evaluation and Program Planning, 20 (3), 259-267.
- Hamner, K. M., Lambert, E. W., & Bickman, L. (1997). Children’s mental health in a continuum of care: Clinical outcomes at 18 months for the Fort Bragg Demonstration. Journal of Mental Health Administration, 24 (4), 664-670.
- Boyd, E. A., Berk, R. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1996) Motivated by hatred or prejudice: Categorization of hate-motivated crimes in two police divisions. Law and Society Review, 30, 819-850
- Heflinger, C. A., Nixon, C. T., & Hamner, K. M. (1996). Handling confidentiality and disclosure in the evaluation of client outcomes in managed mental health services for children and adolescents. Evaluation and Program Planning, 19, 175-182.
- Hamner, K. M. (1992). Gay bashing: A Social Identity analysis of violence against lesbians and gay men. In G. M. Herek & K. T. Berrill (Eds.) Hate crimes: Confronting violence against lesbians and gay men, pp. 179-190. Newbury Park, CA: Sage
- Berk, R. A., Boyd, E. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1992). Thinking more clearly about hate motivated crimes. In G. M. Herek & K. T. Berrill (Eds.) Hate crimes: Confronting violence against lesbians and gay men, pp. 123-143. Newbury Park, CA: Sage
- Feinstein, N., Card, J. J., Shields, J. P., Benner, T., & Hamner, K. M. (2001). Case Studies in Effective HIV Prevention: 18 Behavioral Prevention Programs Selected for the HIV/AIDS Prevention Program Archive. Los Altos, CA: Sociometrics Corporation.
- Thomas, K.H., Albright, D.L., Hamner, K., & Shields, M.M. (Jan 2017) Predictors of depression diagnoses and symptoms in female veterans: Results from a national survey and implications for programming. Annual Conference for the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA (poster presentation).
- Hamner, K.M. (2016). “From In-Group to Out-Group MCT and Optimal Distinctiveness.” Panel presentation in “Theory, Veteran Identity and Well-Being in Military-Civilian Transition: What do we know and what can we do?” Working Group 5, Leads: Dr. Jim Thompson, Medical Advisor, Research Directorate, Veterans Affairs Canada & Wendy Lockhart, Senior Policy Officer, Research Directorate, Veterans Affairs Canada; Forum 2016, the 7th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Vancouver, Canada.
- Albright, D. L., Currier, J. & Hamner, K.M. (2016) “Post-Service Identity: The Role of Moral Injury on the Military to Civilian Transition.” Oral presentation; Forum 2016, the 7th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Vancouver, Canada.
- Hamner, K.M, Albright, D.L., Thomas, K., Pryce, J., Davis, L. (2015). “Leading by Convening: Advancing Transition Research via a Translational Summit.” Oral presentation; The 6th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Quebec City, Canada.
- Albright, D. L., & Hamner, K.M. (2015). Beyond “thank you for your service”: Improving community context for MCT. Military to Civilian Transition Summit, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- Huebner, R. & Hamner, K.M. (2014). “Putting the “I” Back in Team: IPE Strategies for Students, Faculty, and Rural Social Work Practice.” Oral presentation p; 39th Annual National Institute for Social Work and Human Services in Rural Areas. Silver City, New Mexico, July 2014.
- Hamner, K.M., Kennedy, P., Jones, F., Judd, A. & Johnson, G. (2012) “Sustaining Community- Academic Partnerships for Health.” Panel Presentation; National Outreach Scholarship Conference. Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Wilson, E., Dixon. C., Thomas, A., Watkins, J., Houser, R., Hamner, K.M., Shaw, C.L., & Reamy, R., (2012). “From the Ground Up: The Evolution of a Partnership.” Panel Presentation; National Outreach Scholarship Conference. Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Hamner, K.M., Kennedy, P., Goetz, D. & Wells, H.M. (2010). “Reciprocal Community-Academic Partnerships for Health: Lessons from WATCH 2010.” Panel presentation; Gulf-South Summit on Service Learning and Civic Engagement through Higher Education; Athens, Georgia.
- Hamner, K.M. (2010). “Innovation to promote nursing research.” Oral presentation; The Research Leaders Network, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Graduate Education Conference; Captiva Island, Florida.
- Snow, A.L., Allen, R., Richmond, D. & Hamner, K.M. (2010). “Linking research and practice in long- term care.” Panel presentation, Improving the Quality of Long-Term Care: A Statewide Summit; Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Hamner, K.M., Dunkin, J., Witt, B.S., Hankins, J., & Majors, S. (2008). “Nurses responding to rural health needs: Meeting the needs of the future through community-academic partnerships.” Chair, Panel presentation, , Ninth Annual Rural Health Conference; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; September 2008.
- Hamner, K.M., Patton, M.Q., Saxe, L., Scriven, S. & Bickman, L. (1998). “Increasing the utilization of evaluation findings to transform society: What is the role of the evaluator?” Chair, Panel presentation, with Michael Quinn Patton, Leonard Saxe, Michael Scriven, and Leonard Bickman, American Evaluation Association annual meeting, November 1998.
- Hamner, K.M. (1998). “Confronting common problems in evaluation research: The power of the sociological perspective.” Paper presentation, Annual Pacific Sociological Association meeting, April 1998.
|Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation; Operation Deep Dive Subcontract||$1,552,773||Lead PI||2017-2021|
|State of Alabama Department of Education, School Improvement Grants – Evaluation||$1,310,801||Evaluator||2017-2021|
| National Science Foundation; Building a Pathway for CS Principles Teachers: |
A Two-course Sequence for Secondary Education Mathematics Pre-service Teachers
|University of Alabama at Birmingham; Jefferson County Juvenile Drug Court Assessment||$35,000||Evaluator||2017-2018|
|Gadsden City Schools; 21st Century Learning Centers||$14,500||Evaluator||2017-2018|
|Alabama Department of Public Health; Alabama FITWAY Colorectal Cancer Prevention Program||$193,564||Evaluator||2015-2017|
| University of Alabama at Birmingham; Jefferson County Juvenile Drug Court and Family |
Drug Court Assessments
|Gadsden City Schools and Selma City Schools; 21st Century Learning Centers||$22,000||Evaluator||2016-2017|
|Community Foundation of South Alabama; South Alabama Veterans Needs Assessment||$33,619||PI||2015-2016|
|National Institute of Child and Human Development; Service Member to Civilian: Transitions, Mental Health. Families and Education (NIH 1 R13 HD080421-01)||$25,000||PI||2014-2016|
|Alabama Department of Mental Health Developmental Disabilities; Alabama Project LAUNCH||$150,000||Evaluator||2014-2016|
| Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs; |
Alabama Broadband Initiative Monitoring and Evaluation Framework Development
|Missouri Hospital Association; Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$2,700||Instructor||2014|
|Greenleaf Medical Center; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$20,000||PI||2011|
|Fitzgibbon Hospital; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$20,000||PI||2010|
|Missouri Hospital Association; Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$2,700||Instructor||2010|
|Walker Baptist Medical Center; Professional Facilitation; WATCH 2010||$7,500||Facilitator||2009|
|Alameda County Office of Education; Grant Writing Training and Professional Development||$12,853||PI||2008-2009|
|MidMichigan Innovation Center; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$5,000||PI||2007|
|University of Maryland; Baltimore County Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$6,000||Instructor||2007|
|The California Endowment; Centinela Youth Service Bullying Prevention Program Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2006|
|DeKalb County School System; DeKalb County School System’s |
Theme and Magnet School Evaluation
|The San Diego Foundation & The California Endowment; Project ESSEA Evaluation||$35,000||Evaluator||2002-2005|
| The California Endowment; The Northern California Center on Deafness Parent Links |
|Roanoke Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative Evaluation||$40,000||Evaluator||1998-2004|
|Tulare County, CA; Tulare Youth Services Bureau Building Bridges Program Evaluation||$25,500||Evaluator||2001-2003|
|The California Endowment & Private Donor; Tariq Khamisa Foundation Violence Intervention Forum Feasibility Study||$140,552||PI||2001-2002|
|The State of California & The California Endowment; People’s Choice Program Evaluation and Organizational Development||$33,500||Evaluator/PI||2000-2002|
|City of Los Angeles, CA; Community Employment Project’s Welfare to Work Program Evaluation||$50,000||Evaluator||2001|
|The California Endowment; Woodlake Family Resource Center Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; Project New Hope Evaluation||$35,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; The California Partnership for Children’s Plan To Lead Parent Advocacy Training Program Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; Kaweah Delta Healthcare District Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluation||$40,000||Evaluator||1999-2001|
|The State of California; Planned Parenthood’s Girl Talk Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluation||$30,000||Evaluator||1998-2001|
|Kaweah Delta Healthcare District; Hispanic Cardiovascular Health Needs Assessment||$5,000||PI||1999|
|The David & Lucille Packard Foundation; Santa Clara County Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Network Evaluation||$880,000||Co- PI/Evaluator||1999|
|The State of Minnesota; The System-wide Analysis of Family Planning Services in Minnesota||$120,000||PI||1998-1999|
|The State of California; California Community Challenge Grant Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluations||1997-1999||Evaluator||$106,150|
|Department of Defense; Client Severity and Case Management Activity in Children’s Mental Health Services||1996||Co-PI||$50,000|
| Walker Area Transformational Coalition for Health Planning Grant, Don Goetz, |
|2009||Health Resources and Services Administration||$86,000|
|Michigan Initiative for Innovation and Entrepreneurship||2008||The Mott Foundation||$80,000|
|The Icelandic Cultural Heritage Project; Jesse Byock, Ph.D., PI, UCLA||2007||The Alcoa Foundation||$250,000|
|Multiple Imputation for Longitudinal Data; Xiawei Yang, Ph.D., PI, UCLA||2002||National Institute of Drug Abuse||$99,700|
|Board and Organizational Development; People’s Choice, Inc.||2002||The California Endowment||$50,000|
| Transitional Housing for People Living with AIDS and Mental Illness; |
Project New Hope
|2001||Housing and Urban Development||$750,000|
| Supportive Services for People Living with AIDS and Mental Illness; |
Project New Hope
|2001|| Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services |
|Planning and Seed Money Grant; The California Partnership for Children||2001||The Friedman Family Foundation||$20,000|
| Plan 2 Lead Parent Advocacy Training Program; The California Partnership |
|2001||The California Endowment||$450,000|
*Only grant proposals for which Dr. Hamner served as grant development lead and/or primary author or funded proposal. List does not include grant awards to the University of Alabama during Dr. Hamner’s time as a Director/Assistant Dean for Research.